BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

On playing Game 1 of the UAAP Finals

Someone asked me if it is right for the UAAP to push through with Game 1 of the Finals between Ateneo and UE with the country still reeling from the effects of Typhoon Ondoy. My answer is yes. Not because I want it to start and be over with but because it is the right thing to do. Life goes on and as much as everyone was hard hit by the typhoon or is involved with the relief effort, other aspects of life do go on. And before you think otherwise of me, I lost my apartment. I was down for a couple of days but even the day after, I was already in Marikina helping out on my own. It was only last Tuesday that I finally shook off the effects of last Saturday's tragedy. And as the song says, time waits for no one. 

Just to give you an idea, when an earthquake in San Francisco interrupted the Game 3 of the 1989 World Series between the hometown Giants and Oakland A's, there was stoppage for 10 days but it nevertheless pushed through. And most recently, after 9-11, the New York Yankees soldiered on and made the World Series where their inspired run gave hope to New Yorkers even if they lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks in Game 7. 

I'm not saying that the games should have been played last Sunday. No. Definitely not. But pushing it back further will compromise more than just the games. 

But wait, Pepeng is on the horizon. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment