BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Emirates Stadium is that way. Is it possible -- Thierry Henry back in a Gunners' kit?


(From soccernet) Thierry Henry spent eight years at the club before joining Barcelona and still has an affinity to the Gunners after forging his reputation there. "I'm trying to finish what I started nearly 15 years ago but we will see,'' Henry told Sky Sports News.

"I always said you go back to where you belong. I never stopped saying I love Arsenal and I will one day go back there. How? I don't know. Maybe a waterboy. Who knows. I just love the club and eventually one day I will go back for sure.''

Wenger this week has become Arsenal's longest-serving manager and Henry cannot see him leaving. I will be honest, I don't see Arsenal without Arsene Wenger,'' he said. "I couldn't see Arsenal leaving Highbury but it happens.

"He's the type of guy that you'd always associate with Arsenal, like Tony Adams, Ian Wright, Patrick Vieira and Bob Wilson. Arsenal was well known for being a boring team and he's changed that as soon as he arrived with the style of play and trophies we won.

"He didn't have to convince me too much to come to play for Arsenal because that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to play for Arsenal full stop. I won't lie, it also helped that he was there. The best advice he gave me was, 'try to stop blaming others and try to see what you can do to help others'."

Henry scored 174 goals for Arsenal in eight years at the club after joining from Juventus. The striker added: "He is the guy that makes you realise you can do anything you want. It is a pleasure to play and train with him. He is a great human being on top of everything.''

------------

I know there was a failed move to bring back midfielder Patrick Vieira back to Arsenal as the club would rather get younger legs, but they need that finisher up there because I'm not sure that Rob Van Persie can do it all (especially when he isn't diving for free kicks or penalties). After this season, it would be nice to see Henry back at the Emirates Stadium more so now that it looks like Barca will increasingly go with Zlatan Imbrahimovic.


No comments:

Post a Comment