BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday Morning Blues Part 1

I’m trying to stay coherent. No sleep for over 24 hours. I’m stressed, worried, and a little pissed. My father refuses to let us feel bad by showing he’s okay. He suffered a stroke right after he got back from a prayer meeting at Santuario de San Antonio and how he even drove himself to the hospital I have no idea! I was at a party when I received word and immediately tore onto the streets to get to the hospital. I was afraid because this was the third time and God knows how many more lives my dad has.

I guess when you’re older you start thinking of your mortality and having written that, I understood why people can be vain as they try to reclaim those younger days when they were kings or queens. In the hospital because of my father, I once more saw the plight of others and how wanting our healthcare program is in our country. It’s a huge debate in the US and here people scrape by because the system doesn’t work for them. It’s a thought that remained with me as I sat outside.

I hate hospitals. They are a place of suffering (and of healing as well to be fair). I guess that was borne out of a phobia I developed when I was confined during my childhood days.

In the lobby, the hospital guards were listening to the interviews and speeches by madmen named Lacson and Estrada as they hurled accusations against one another. I wondered aloud why they continue to listen when no one is going to jail or will be prosecuted when the dog and pony show is done. It’s all for show. To sell newspapers. To get people to watch TV. It’s got more twists and turns than a Korean telenovela. And like pro basketball here, we are taken for a ride. The guards nodded in agreement. One spat on the pavement and cursed our lawmakers. My venom was obviously infectious.

But I am not pleased with the infection. That wasn’t even my intent.

I skimmed through the newspaper and read the news. Yesterday I got wind of news that new accusations at Jobe Nkemakolam’s eligibility were to be released to the trad media the today. The funny thing is it leaked by an FEU representative to the media. Whether they are pissed at what I wrote (The Blame Game) or it’s to detract from the Mark Barroca issue, I couldn’t help but think how they bungled the whole thing once more.

For one, it’s an old issue that was thrown out the window. Isn’t this a case of Double Jeopardy? This is a matter that is best discussed indoors and with the UAAP Board and if found to be true then a statement should be issued to the media. Not vice versa. The timing smacks of maliciousness and deviousness. What to distract from the Mark Barroca incident? And so close to the Finals? Isn’t there a new UAAP rule where if no one contests the eligibility of a player prior to the start of the competition then any protest will be thrown out the window? Someone obviously has a short memory.

But since when did the UAAP Board make sense? The tournament is 72 years old yet they cannot get the rules right. Every year there’s some rule change and controversy. And it isn’t even rocket science. The sideshows take as much headline space as the actual games. Isn’t that bad comedy?

Then there’s Japeth Aguilar not being allowed to play in the PBA. That much I understand. But he will face severe sanctions for what? Again there are no rules regarding sanctioning a player not signing up with the club that drafted him. What of those drafted not signed? He can sit out two years. But anything more than that well…

Those are the things made known to the public but there are a lot of things that are all off the record. Think about it? This is a club that let go of its best player in Arwind Santos. We’ve seen a revolving door of players through the years. So do clubs like them have any real long-term program? They buy and sell players because they don’t have the money to sustain things. They serve as the middle team for the San Miguel teams when they need to trade players. That’s what is wrong when you have several clubs belonging to one company. Conspiracy theories and endless rumor mongering abound. It’s like that Rage Against the Machine song, “Take the power back.” This case should be analyzed more from a mere act of snobbery. It goes deeper.

Real basketball is in the college game. The pros? Well, that’s entertainment.

And that brings me back to the sideshow carnival that seems to come with every UAAP season. I remember writing about what subplots will develop when the tournament gets underway and wow…. it’s really something else, isn’t it?

Whichever television station wins the UAAP bid for next year there’s your campaign –- 8 Teams. 100 stories. Bwahahaha.

When I met up with Mark Barroca the day before they left for Singapore, he climbed over to where we were seated and while drenched with sweat he quickly shared his unhappiness. But he was looking forward to the trip to Singapore. Suddenly it was like the Mark I befriended in the weeks leading to Jakarta and the two weeks we were there. It wasn't the sullen and forlorn player who sobbed all night long as he left the FEU campus a few days ago. He yakked about a lot of things… yes, he believes the Cleveland Cavaliers will win it all this year. He likes the Celtics to figure in the title race but LeBron is on a mission.

When he spoke of FEU, well, he hopes they win the title but he is clearly not happy with some people. But when someone (not me) ventured that the Tamaraws winning will justify his removal, he seemed taken aback. Not once did he even consider that. Then he said that from hereon it’s all about finishing his studies and playing for the national team.

As far as the Jobe issue is concerned whoever spun this differently bungled things once more.

After the UAAP basketball season is over, I will set the record straight on another person accused of throwing a game. And you’ll be shocked. That’s why these things are dangerous.

Sleep yet has to come to me. Hope my dad’s okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment