BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Look what I found


While rummaging through an old box of stuff in my parents' house last Saturday, I found this. It was a slip of paper that I asked Norman Black, then a playing coach for San Miguel Beer in the PBA, to autograph. I had forgotten that I had this and it brought a smile to my lips as I recalled that day. It was a Monday at the Robinson's Galleria where I was at A&W Rastaurant having a rootbeer float. Norman entered and had a snack. I politely approached him and asked for his sig. He said that if it was okay with me, he'd finish his snack then sign what I wanted. I said it was okay. When he was done, he sat down in my table and chatted with me for a few minutes then signed a piece of paper.

Yesterday prior to the Ateneo-UP game, I showed him the autograph and he had this huge smile on him. He pulled Sandy Arespacochaga aside to show him the paper. Coach Sandy kidded Norm, "What does the date say -- 1972?" Norman laughed hard.

Good memory indeed.

I also showed him a postcard that was signed by his players then -- Allan Caidic and Samboy Lim. Man, memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment