BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Excerpts from stuff to come

I have to juggle several things at the same time. There’s my day job, then finishing the script of a documentary and another something for TV, then writing stuff for Business Mirror, Ateneo, Rebound, and doing public relations work that I’d rather not talk about.

God! I need a vacation. Suddenly, Singapore seems so long ago. Halikinu radio is a welcome relief. I think it’s only then that I am able to laugh out loud. Not that I am saying that l don’t. Some things are just tough now. I wish for other things I cannot have at the moment. So patience, grasshopper.

I hate to say this but I could be gone for a week as there is a possibility of interviewing tennis stars Rafael Nadal, Marat Safin, and Wilfred-Jo Tsonga among others. So if I go we’re going to test that theory that some have espoused that Ateneo wins when I’m around. Now before you have a cow that was a frigging joke, okay? So chill.

I am really happy with the four pieces I wrote for the second issue of Rebound which is more feature oriented.

Here are excerpts:

From The Renaissance Dogs, Part IV of my NU Bulldogs series that began in Business Mirror:
Rookie guard Kokoy Hermosisima, out of Holy Cross in Davao sat outside the players’ quarters and watched assistant coach Rico Perez put some of the Team B players through their paces. Their two Cameroonian players – Joe Nlepe and Jean Embe -- who are completing their residency are getting better with their English. They have no choice because not many speak French in Manila let alone in the Sampaloc campus. Hermosisima was excited about what he saw despite the here and now. As he stood up, he left a mark of his sweat on the wall that he leaned on. He wiped it off with his shirt and laughed, “Baka marumihan. Bagong bago.”

From Tamaraw Drive, a story on the FEU Tamaraws:
School officials are of the mind that Baracael had nothing to do with any foul play on the court. “If you asked me about a week after the shooting that Mac might have had something to do with it, I might have said yes. But after several months, think about it,” said Mark Molina who paused to let his words take effect. “Why comeback at all? Wouldn’t you rather quit and disappear? But the kid loves the game and wants to improve and make it to the pros to help his family. That says a lot about his character.”

From The Gospel According to Marvin Hayes:
“Puro na lang pag-subok,” he recalled but without any hint of someone with a chip on his shoulder. “Tanong ko nga – kelan ‘to titigil? Kailan ako makakaahon sa problema?”

From Jan Colina: With Basketball Comes Great Responsibility:
Falcons head coach Leo Austria knows what his precocious forward is capable of doing on a daily basis and like the rest of the team, oft dispenses fatherly advice. “Si Colina. Napaka-unassuming na bata. Maganda yung attitude at talagang hard worker. Ganyan talaga may ups and downs, but as long as he keeps to his goal kayang kaya. Tignan mo naman – 6’3” lang ang height niya pero easily so far, he’s been our most consistent performer. Product ng hard work ‘yan. Who knows kung saan siya makakarating with that kind of determination.”

From my first column outside Bleachers’ Brew in Business Mirror is called: From the Parking Lot. Unlike Brew that is somewhat story oriented, From the Parking Lot is more opinionated. The title was inspired from those long three-pointers that some players (like Don Don Hontiveros) take.
An excerpt:
Everyone realizes the supposed cash cow that college basketball is so there are a bevy of pre and post tournaments. Some run concurrently against one another yet hardly draw the interest of the big schools that opt to use it as training ground for their bench and reserve players. As for crowds, the nearby Zagu stall draws even more paying customers.

The writers for the second issue of Rebound include aside from myself: Chris Soler (ADMU), Mike Abasolo (SBC), Sid Ventura (UP), Martin David (ADMU), Reuben Terrado (DLSU), Mia Domingo (JRU), and Trish Roque (UP). Photographers are Raddy Mabasa (UP), Bob Guerrero (ADMU), and Juane Escudero (DLSU). Editors are Mike Yu (ADMU), Chuck B. (ADMU), and Pia Boren (SBC). This is a fun bunch!

Over at the NCAA side, damn. I still owe Boris Aldeguer and Richard del Rosario a sit down. Dino Aldeguer, if you are reading this, I’ll get around to doing the Perpetual Help story! Promise! The College of Saint Benilde piece is fucking hardcore.

Sa pros…. Working on a Ginebra San Miguel story.

So how do I finish all that? I have no frigging clue.

Then there are a pair of Ateneo volleyball stories – the Women’s and Men’s teams that should be ready in a few months’ time. The women’s in particular features Gretchen, Fille, Dzi and Jem. Why is taking a little long… well, it was done last March but it needs updating.

And lastly there’s this multi-part series titled “Tokushima.”

Kayo na bahala what you want to infer from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment