BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, July 6, 2009

15 but where to now, Andy?


What an amazing match. At first, I told myself, if Andy Roddick didn't play well, let Roger run him over so we could get on with the coronation.

But as Andy took the first set then shockingly choked in the second, I began to pull for him (as if I wasn't already rooting for him). I mean, Rog is going to get his 15th title anyway but if Andy stood up to him let him get his tie-breaker elsewhere and not at Wimbledon.

As it went on and on, the game reminded me of those baseball matches that went past the 11th inning and it was past midnight and you're just waiting for some breakthrough. Any hit to get the game over with (and a win for the Yankees of course). And it sure brought up memories of that old Nike commercial featuring Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi playing that forever match until they got old. Whew!

Roddick brought his A-game and with steel nerves returned volleys and found ways for Federer to rush shots and make awkward returns. Andy brought out the best in Roger. And sadly, in the four previous sets, he did not break Roddick except in the final one and when it mattered.

I didn't stand up lest I miss a shot and only did so when the awards ceremony was over.

I feel happy for Roger and it was certainly classy of Sampras to be in the audience when the former won his 15th Grand Slam. But man, how tough was that for Roddick?

That was probably the game of his life and he came out second again. So close. So close this fourth title loss to Federer who has stopped him from being the great American player of his generation.

What else can I say except, bounce back in the US Open, Andy. Bounce back.

Build on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment