BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I've got m@il

Time to answer some mail here.

In the last three days, I received four letters from four different people who all asked me to continue writing about local football. One is a former coach from Southridge and is now working abroad, another is a Romanian citizen now living in Australia, the third is a Spanish national from Barcelona who picked up my posts, and the fourth is from Cebu.

At this point, I am still burned out by the PFF experience. Right now it's not there. I'm not a hack who can just churn out stuff. I already have an ungodly work load from my day job and all my sidelines. The last thing I need is more aggravation. But we'll see.

Seven people asked what college teams will I write about this season.

Okay, I'm a part of a new magazine that should come out in a few weeks. But aside from that and what I wrote for them, I'll follow Adamson, Far Eastern University, NU, Mapua, JRU, and UST. Oh yeah, and there's the defending UAAP champs. Hope that answers your questions. The other schools won't be regular like Ateneo, but it will be worth it.

One wag asked what happened to Afghanistan. Okay. I didn't get the part. I was advised to report on the rebellion in Mindanao. I'm still trying to get onto that airlift to the Spratlys and live there for a few days. Hahaha. The Iraq story hit some snags. Wait a bit on that.

A few asked if I'll do any more stuff on the Smart Gilas RP Team. The answer is... yes. Abangan na lang. It's another multi-part series.

As for the NBA, yes, interview with an NBA player coming up. Who? Aww. That would be telling. Let's wait a while coz the Finals are here.

Someone asked why I wore a Juve jersey when I am a Liverpool fan. Okay it's like this... my two absolute fave clubs in the world are LFC and the defunct New York Cosmos. After Liverpool, I like Juventus. I rooted for Real Madrid because of Zinedine Zidane. I loved the galactico period. Mikey Owens. Luis Figo. Becks. Roberto Carlos. Ronaldo. And Zizou! Then they had Raul and Iker!

Now that the Frenchman ain't playing anymore. And Roberto Carlos is with Fenerbahce then there's not much to keep me tied to Madrid. And in Barca, they have Thierry Henry, Sam Eto'o, Lionel Messi, Bojan Krcic. Now if they pry back Cesc Fabregas!

But before Zizou moved to Spain, I liked Barcelona. So I've been veering away now to Camp Nou. Martin got me a Sam Eto'o jersey!

One asked about my CD and DVD collection. Well, I have a little over 5K CDs -- all original and no pirated stuff. Like my DVD collection, almost all are pressed in the United States and Europe. 75% of my DVDs are Region 1. A few are Region 2 (all football). The last CD I bought was U2's No Line On the Horizon. Last DVDs I purchased: the box set of Generation Kill, The Rocketeer, and James Bond: Quantum of Solace. What's on heavy rotation on my iPod: Swing Out Sister's Live in Tokyo and Live at the Jazz Cafe. (two excellent jazz albums). Next week, I'm going to gorge on Helmet and Fear Factory. Okay, I'm moving into a noisier phase. Hahahaha.


No comments:

Post a Comment