BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Liverpool is giving me sleeping problems

This is why you should never say it ain't over 'til it's over.

It was close to 2:30 in the morning and there was a minute and fourteen seconds into injury time. I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. I told myself -- what a wasted opportunity. I was referring both to Liverpool's chances of going up again in the English Premier League and my staying up so late when I could have finished my column for Business Mirror and some press releases.


Fulham doggedly kept Liverpool at bay. Their short game was superb in the first half and so was their defense. But I told myself that the last time LFC played in the afternoon they plastered Manchester United 4-1. So maybe their confidence and in-form will see them get another massive win.

By the second half, the Reds totally dominated the game as they kept the ball on Fulham's side of the field. I said to myself that it's only a matter of time before they score. Without about 20 minutes left, you could see the look of urgency in the faces of Rafa Benitez and his men. They could not afford to leave Craven Cottage without a win as it would hand an advantage to Manchester United for their upcoming match versus Aston Villa.

Ryan Babel entered for Andrea Dossena (who played superbly). Then with 16 minutes left to play, Yossi Benayoun for Dirk Kuyt.

I was looking at Kuyt who had this look of "what me?" But I hoped that Benayoun, the Israeli midfielder who had been magical for this team all season might save the day.

And he had a couple of chances as soon as he got in.

That brings me back to 1:14 in injury time. I told myself that, "Damn. What a waste."

I prepared to shut my LCD down. As it was shutting down, Benayoun sent a powerful shot from the right side.

Then my monitor went blank.

I shouted aloud, "Oh no!" as I switched it back on. By the time I reconnected, the match was over. Liverpool had the 1-0 win but I had to wait for the replay of the day's highlights.

So much for sleeping. Now I was awake. At least Liverpool won!

No comments:

Post a Comment