BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Where are you going?


Hard to believe that it was 10 years ago when the Chicago Bulls ruled the NBA landscape.

Someone asked me why I rooted for them when they they're plain bad.

I replied that I gave my allegiances to the team regardless whether Michael Jordan was playing or not. Yes, they are a pain to watch. After all, you do not know which Bulls team will show up. But it has become clear -- they play well at home; extraordinary at times, but on the road, they... are roadkill.

Until this team wants to play four quarters of defense they they will forever suck and rebuild.

The Bulls in the wake of their recent trades have a good team. And I especially like the addition of John Salmons (see him driving against New Orlean's James Posey in the picture above).

They have two returnees to the line-up in Brad Miller and Tim Thomas. Miller was part of that fab line-up of Ron Artest and Elton Brand except management was too impatient for them to grow as a team.

Thomas hardly played and was quickly traded. Everyone is still hoping for him to flash that form when he was in Milwaukee. Although he had contributions to Phoenix and New York later on, waiting for the game he showed with the Bucks will be like waiting for another of Thomas's teammates then... Vin Baker. So forgetaboutit.

But management should learn about their recent follies and give this team a chance to grow. I'm just not convinced that Vinny Del Negro is the guy to take them back to greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment