BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, March 29, 2009


I attended a pro-am tennis tournament yesterday at Palms Country Club and it helped rekindle an interest in the sport. In my high school years I played recreational tennis and once more took it up a few years ago. Spent some time walling in the past year since I'm heavier, am nursing a knee injury, and am not in shape. But yesterday really lit the fires once more for the sport.

Chatted a bit with Johnny Arcilla who was nursing a hamstring injury and did not push himself too much. In the two years I was with Solar Sports, I took several TV crews down to the Philippine Columbian and the Olivarez Sports Center to feature tennis tournaments and players. It helped that some of my cousins (Edna & Eva) were tennis All-Americans so you could say that the interest was there. I even featured Eva in the Remember the Titans photo shoot for San Miguel Corp.

Arcilla noted that since I left, no one has gone down to Columbian or anywhere else to feature tennis. I'm not exactly sure what's going down with Solar since it's been a while since I was there but i do know that its staffed with sports nuts who I am sure would love to feature tennis too. I figure it must be the constraints.

The tennis played was awesome. very competitive. It was sure nice to know that people in Palms read me too.

It was only in the last two years that I made writing more or less a full-time profession. I have been looking to tyeach also in Ateneo and in the last couple of weeks have been helping groups of students with their advertising and communications projects. It is gratifying to know and hear that they learned more in the space of one hour than the entire sem from their prof.

One of the perks, although it is rather unusual, of writing is that two apparel companies have asked me to wear their clothing line. This summer, I'll start with another (although it is not exclusive). Kind of cool and I am truly grateful. It helps get into functions that normally would be difficult to gain access.

On the weird side though is when I speak with people, many of them always say, "off the record" or "don't quote me." It does get annoying at times but I mostly chuckle about it. Some expect me to stand on one side no matter what. What they do not realize is that I stand with what is fair and right. If they are on the wrong side that doesn't neccessarily mean I am against them. I hate this excessive Pinoy sensitivity.

But more than any materialstic benefit, the true gift for me is connecting with others as we share experiences and ideas. And if and when possible, to help influence their lives or help them express themselves.

With The 18th Banner finding a publisher (and with forewords by Fr. Ben Nebres, Chris Tiu, and another person), I'm turning my focus on Turn On the Bright Lights, a chronicle of years spent in Hong Kong and New York (with travels around the US and Mexico). A partial manuscript is in the hands of someone very dear to me and who is helping me with it. It isn't an easy thing to do as it is intensely personal. Coach Joe Lipa has been very supportive of this and has also pushed me to put it out and let it be a message or a story of hope.

Towards the end of the year, we're also putting out a compilation of the best of Bleachers' Brew with updates on many of the columns that include reactions. Commentary also features noted columnists from the New York Times and the South China Morning Post and others as well as many local athletes and coaches. I have friends from Ateneo and La Salle helping out with its publication.

I'm still plugging that upcoming story about a Fil-Am soldier in Iraq. Keep a look out for that. I'm using Holy week as a time to finish that and the Alec Rivera piece before we head right into the UEFA Champions league and Philippine college basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment