BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kobe loves Barca


















Kobe Bryant on FC Barcelona

ROOTS
Growing up in Italy, I followed soccer religiously. I'd go to the park to play basketball, but there were mini goals under the baskets, so I'd end up playing soccer with the other kids first. I became a Barça fan a few years ago, when Ronaldinho was there. I watched him when I was in Rome in 2005, and he was doing stuff I'd never seen before.

PLUGGED IN
Pau Gasol grew up in Barcelona, so he keeps me in the loop. I follow games on the Internet, and even when we don't have time to watch, we talk about the team. Sasha Vujacic likes Madrid, so that leads to a lot of smack-talk in the locker room.

THE GOODS
I have a great jersey collection; Leo Messi threw his to me in the stands at the Olympics. I also have signed soccer balls from Pelé for my kids and a picture with Diego Maradona.

WORLD VIEW
I just enjoy the game and its influence. If you look at European basketball players who grew up playing soccer, they see our game differently—the angles, the cuts. I enjoy watching that.


Photograph by Matthias Calmer

No comments:

Post a Comment