BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Going home for the winter

You have to hand it to the Boston Red Sox. They've been an incredible ball club over the last several years. They almost pulled off another comeback for the ages as they went to a Game 7 with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Sorry though. I'm a New York Yankees fan so rooting for Boston is like rooting for DLSU in basketball.

Someone asked me if I think that Boston GM Theo Epstein will make wholesale changes for the Red Sox. Well, I don't think so. There are a number of very good free agents after the World Series and many teams would like to reload. But we might have seen the last of Curt Schilling in Fenway Park though.

Does this mean the end of Boston's remarkable post-season success? Nah. They've got a good manager in Terry Francona (who I'd like to say was Michael Jordan's coach in the Chisox organization when he was playing Double A baseball) and a very smart GM in Epstein. Yeah you have to give props to these guys even if they're the "enemy." They'll be back even if Jason Varitek disappeared once more in the post-season.

So now... who am I rooting for in the World Series? No one. It's going to be fun to watch though. But one thing you have to say about those Devil Rays... they've been steadily improving over the last few years. Remember how the season started out for them... brawling with the Yankees? Well the D-Rays eliminated NY and then Boston to suddenly make the battle for American League supremacy a four-way battle (throw in those chockers from Anaheim).


No comments:

Post a Comment