BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rare Bird. Go Sue!

I don’t watch women’s hoops that much. Sorry, I know I should. But as much as possible, there’s one player I really follow. She’s the Seattle Storm’s Sue Bird. When she was at UConn I became a fan. I remember one time when the WNBA jerseys were on sale since it was off-season and the Sue Bird was down to $25. Man, if I was a girl maybe I would have bought it. Instead I bought the T-Mac Orlando #1 and a Julius Erving Philly #6.

I did get to watch Bird’s Storm twice: the first was in New York where they played the Liberty and the second was in Detroit against the Shock.

But I’m still a fan and made it a point to watch Sue play for Team USA in the last Beijing Olympics.

The Seattle Storm without Lauren Jackson are at 22-12 (good for second) in the WNBA’s Western Conference where they will be up against Candace Parker and the Sparks. Parker and the San Antonio Stars’ (Russian import) Becky Hammon and Sophia Young are legit MVP candidates but Sue Bird should pick it up. It would be a crime if she didn’t sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment