BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

One of the coolest looking football kits

In 2006, Barcelona FC parted with 106 years of history of not featuring a logo in the front of its football kit. They are the only European club without any corporate logo emblazoned on the front of their jersey. But what a way to break with that since it’s no ordinary corporate logo. Except that UNICEF does not sponsor the Catalan club. It’s the reverse, Barcelona gives $1.9 million annually to the UN child poverty charity.

I am a fan of two clubs: Liverpool and Real Madrid. Although my being a fan of Los Blancos has somewhat waned when Zinedine Zidane retired. I understand that the rivalry between Madrid and Barca is one of the most intense (the Ateneo-La Salle rivalry pales in comparison) but at the risk of being branded a traitor, I do like Barca’s jersey. And I profess to owning the version with the UNICEF logo. If any Castillan is going to throw their Seimens mobile phone at me please make sure that it’s an iphone. For those who don’t know about my reference, when Luis Figo transferred from Barca to Real, in his first trip back to Camp Nou, the irate Catalan crowd pelted him with a total of three mobile phones (and in superb working condition at that), coins amounting to several thousand Euros, bricks, several dozen lighters, several bricks, a couple of tennis and golf balls, and – gasp -- a bicycle chain.

This 2008-09 season, Danish club Brondby IF will be the second club to feature the UNICEF logo and they will also be donating $1.9 million dollars to the UN. And the simple kit, manufactured by adidas, is another kit I hope to add to my collection.

Me? I think the UNICEF logo is one of the coolest. Who knows? Maybe I might even begin to follow Brondby.

1 comment:

  1. Im a liverpool and a real madrid fan too haha nice

    ReplyDelete