BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

UAAP Game Notes

That was some blunder by UST Coach Pido Jarencio as his ill-advised timeout allowed DLSU to map out a final play that also saw them advance the ball to halfcourt without even trying. Even worse was his man-on defense of LA Revilla.

Jervy Cruz for MVP? You have got to be kidding me. Maybe last year as he towed his team to the Final Four (he had a lot of help from Khasim Mirza who is this year's Official Invisible Man) but this year... he's like Edwin Asoro on a bad NU team. Meaningless numbers that only count as personal stats. But no disrespect, Cruz is a very good player. Notice how he doesn't guard the oppositions' best big man. Even last year. He plays good help defense but man, he couldn't even take Ford Arao in Season 70.

Who is it? If you ask me, it's one of these three guys Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Chris Tiu, or Jayvee Casio. But my money's on Al-Hussaini.

Someone asked me what I thought of Adamson Coach Leo Austria. I replied, "Dude, without Austria, that team would be 0-15." For real.

The same person asked me about NU's Manny Dandan and I said, I think he's a sound coach. Give the man some props. He's made do with hardly anything. It's only now that this team is getting some good support. If they had that support in place last year, they'd be really a force. As it is, he will lose a lot of his players after this season and my best guess is that if the Bulldogs go back to the cellar next year, Junel Baculi could be recalled to coach.

I've always wondered why Edwin Asoro prefers to play outside rather than mix it up inside. Sure he can beat guys off the dribble but he takes too long to make decisions with the ball. My beef with his outside game? It takes away from the offense of Jessey Garcia and Elmer Fabula. If you're prepping for the PBA well, I'd think of my team first because it will boost your stock greatly.

When I asked an FEU official about any conclusion to the Mac Baracael shooting, he had this to say: "Siya (Baracael) lang makakasagot nun." So you take what you want from that quote.

Said by one idiot in green in their game against FEU, "Barroca kriminal!" His fellow alumni shushed him and the Tamaraws guard torched his team silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment