BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Game Notes

Regarding the query about Hector Tabuzo, he really roots for Adamson. He once cheered for La Salle when Mac Cardona and company were playing. I clashed with him during JC Intal's last year, but I figured on befriending him and his circle of friends would make more sense since we could use their help. Now we're all friends and they all recognize me even during PBA games. It doesn't hurt that I've have helped him get tickets on occasion. Since last year, as long as we're not playing Adamson, he cheers for Ateneo. My girlfriend has been bugging me about writing one about Hec and his friends. Maybe I'll get around to that soon.

I spoke with Rico Maierhofer before the game and he said that he knows that every team will be gunning for them. He gives credit to the coaching staff for helping them focus on the tasks at hand. "Hindi madali maging defending champion kasi nag-expect ang mga tao na mataas lagi performance mo. Pero yun ang challenge di ba? Mataas naman morale namin at mahusay mag-motivate si coach. Ateneo? Yan ang biggest challenge namin."

Speaking with the four Ateneo rookies prior to the game, though it's actually their third game versus La Salle (they were a part of two of the pre-season games), they know that this one has bigger stakes. Vince Burke and Justin Chua both admitted to having butterflies in their stomach. Ryan Buenafe was eating a sandwich before the game and he said that once you handle the pressure of a match versus La Salle, it's a perfect baptism of fire. Kudos to Buenafe and Burke for playing well.

Marko Batricevic won't be able to play because of another injury. But he should be back soon.

I thought that it was wrong for the UAAP Commissioner Chito Narvasa to have Norman Black called for a technical foul. Might as well give them a whistle too if that's what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment