BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Singing the Blues in Anfield



There's this old Cold War joke that went: Why is Visine banned in the Soviet Union?

Why? Because it takes the Red out.

How do I feel?

I'm not sure. I wish I didn't wake up. I want to throw or break something. Maybe the worst part is the eventual numbness because now I'm telling bad jokes to humor myself.

It wasn't too much to ask of God, but at times likes this, I can say that He never takes sides. Liverpool lost to Chelsea 4-3 on aggregate. The Blues scored three goals in their return to Stamford Bridge for the second leg while the Reds managed two. Now that John Arne Riise howler... that's how big it was.

Liverpool... the Reds are not going to Moscow (although another side wearing red will be going).

I guess, it seems to be poetic justice that Manchester United and Chelsea go to Moscow. Alex Ferguson gets a chance to do something that Sir Matt Busby never got to do which is win a Euro title twice. Chelsea on the other hand is still in the thick of matters in the EPL gets to square off with the Red Devils. If they win one or two titles, they exorcise Jose Mourinho. They lose both there'll be massive changes in London.

But Liverpool. Methinks it's the end of an era in Anfield. There will be changes for sure. They've overachieved. It is strange how they do well in the Continent but fail miserably at home. Their inconsistent and at times maddening play eventually did them in. Should that kind of game be rewarded with a Finals berth?

Many will say that they were lucky in 2005 and 2007. They had their chances.

It's still a very good side but clearly changes have to be made. They have no problems scoring upfront, but on defense... looks like Carra's fallen a step behind now. He'll be needing help there.

I dn't know. It's difficult to ruminate at this point in time.

I wish I didn't wake up. I want to throw or break something. No more bad jokes.

YNWA

No comments:

Post a Comment