BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Deep Blue


Deep Blue: Thoughts Heading into the New Season
by rick olivares

It’s just a practice jersey, but Justin Chua felt immense pride when he put it on for his first official game as an Ateneo Blue Eagle. Never mind if it was the Filoil Pre-Season Tournament. “I was nervous,” he admits and still wide-eyed at his new home in Katipunan. “I wanted to do well and not embarrass myself.”

The former Chang Kai Shek slotman used to watch the UAAP games on TV and admits that it was a childhood dream to play for a team in the league. “I initially wanted to play for another school, but by my third year (in high school); I made up my mind to go to Ateneo.”

I ask if the team’s missed title opportunities in the last two seasons detracted in any way his opinion of the team. “Hindi,” he replies then pauses perhaps knowing of the enormity of his next statement. “Naisip ko nga na sana makatulong ako so we can win a championship. Malapit na yung (150th) anniversary ng Ateneo. Magandang birthday gift yun, di ba? Pero meron nerbyos at kaba. Iba yung expectations kasi.”

Nico Salva can empathize. After all, their first game was against the two-time NCAA champion San Beda and their intimidating man in the middle Sam Ekwe. “Once I familiarize myself more with the college game, I know I will help the team,” he says shaking off those early jitters while showing a mental fortitude of a big time player. “Pero tama si Justin. Ayaw mo magisip si coach (Norman Black) na nagkamali siya sa pag-recruit sa amin. Time lang to adjust. “

Salva is a Kobe Bryant fan while Chua despite his “big man” status hopes to have Dirk Nowitski’s range on the court. “Yung outside shot – if you can make it – yan ang mag-open ng floor para sa akin at sa teammates ko. Pero ditto sa college, kailangan mag adjust kasi mas malaki, mas malakas, at mas mabilis yung mga players. Kailangan mag-adjust agad.”

Yuri Escueta who is this year’s co-captain along with Chris Tiu is always the jovial sort. He’s got a smile and a good word for everybody and every situation. Even the chemistry problems the Blue Eagles are experiencing. “We’re confident naman we can integrate the rookies into the system pag-start ng UAAP,” he says brimming with confidence. “Kaya importante yung pre-season to break-in the new players.”

This early, Escueta is learning to temper his emotions as the clock ticks on his final year of playing eligibility. After transferring back to Ateneo for college where he spent his elementary years, he says that he regrets nothing and is certainly glad to be back. “Sana makapanalo ng championship pero kung hindi, meron naman akong diploma. That’s why I went back.”

Also "back" is former teammate Ronnie Bughao who is joining his old teammates on Team B for a scrimmage (Team A has a photo shoot right before their 6pm practice). Bughao who is currently playing for Pharex in the PBL slaps palms and exchanges pleasantries with the assembled players.

Assistant coach Gabby Severino who is about to begin practice silently surveys the horsing around and postulates about Ateneo’s chances of winning had Bughao been able to suit up in the previous campaign. “Maybe. Maybe not.”

“I’m hungry,” declares Kirk Long. Long hasn’t had lunch and enters bringing in a box of pizza. He passes it around while trading jokes with former high school teammates Vince Burke.

I wonder aloud if Kirk had grown a few inches since his rookie year. “I sure hope so,” he answers. “That wouldn’t be bad at all. In fact, I do hope I grow some more. Then maybe I can take over Vince’s position.”

Burke gives him a friendly elbow as they take a seat at nearby bleachers pizza slice in hand.

Long looks to start at the point but what he’s more concerned about is his consistency, “Yeah, I know. I have to exert myself more especially on offense. Coach (Norman Black) keeps reminding me of that. Last year was a learning process. There were times when I got overwhelmed by how big a deal the UAAP and the Blue Eagles are. People tell you what to expect but you’ll never know how to react until you’re in the middle of it all. And there’s the rivalry with La Salle… I figure that you handle that well, you can handle any team in the league.”

Escueta thinks that the hype regarding the rookies will add to the pressure. “Kung tutuusin, maraming player ang magaling at hindi lang matunog sa mga fans. Every year grabe yung expectations. Hindi lang naman ang Ateneo ang nag-recruit – nag-reload. Yung ibang schools meron din mga bago na makakatulong din sa kanila. If the rookies can help us win a championship, then okay na graduation present yun. Pero basta team effort lang. One big fight. May laban din.”

Have a safe trip to the United States, team. OBF!

No comments:

Post a Comment