BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

My first Sports Illustrated

This is the very first issue of Sports Illustrated that I purchased. Sure I got some hand-me-downs, but this one I got through my allowance.

Rich Karlis' field goal beat Bernie Kosar and the Cleveland Browns as the Denver Broncos went on to face the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXI at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena (speaking of Pasadena, check out gjaysworld.org about an accident in the city that took the life of a young boy).

Bill Parcell's Giants behind QB Phil Simms, TE Mark Bavaro, and LB Lawrence Taylor won 39-20 for their first title in the modern era.

Dude, the announcers then were Pat Summerall and John Madden. That was a fun game even if the Broncos lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment