BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sacrilege!






My favorite New York Yankee is none other than Paul O'Neill. I always thought that he was one of the better players in baseball when he was traded by the Cincinnati Reds to New York in November of 1992 so Ithought that was a steal. And I was ecstatic! Whenever I watch his game 5 send-off at Yankee Stadium I get goosebumps. I've never seen that kind of love and buzz for an athlete before. Maybe Michael Jordan's final game in Atlanta in 1998. That was freaking awesome too.

Since he retired following the 2001 season (a little over a month after 9-11), the #21 has not been seen on the backs of any Yankee player. Until now. I heard it's going to some newbie.

Hey, Hank Steinbrenner. Paulie was the heart and soul of those great Yankee teams of the 90's. The moment he stepped out into the diamond in pinstripes, he gave his everything to the team and helped New York to play-offs every year with four World Series titles to boot.

Do the right thing for this great right fielder. Put his number in Monument Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment