BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Saturday, December 1, 2007

adidas in the Beijing Olympics


I've always been a Swoosh guy and have worn it for the longest time. But in the last couple of years, I started wearing a old favorite... adidas. When people saw me in the UAAP games, I mostly wore my various football jerseys from Real Madrid to Chelsea to Argentina to France. I did wear a red Liverpool jersey that my old classmate Philip Sison frowned at. Sorry Philip. Hindi naman UE ang kalaban nun. Hahaha. Excuses for me. I wore the Mali which I truly love (Odette, that's a hint right there!). People would kid me that I wore mosty the three stripes yet my backpack was the Swoosh. Dudes, you have no idea. That backpack has some sentimental value. It was with me all through my stay in the US and my travels in 10 different States, Japan, Macau, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Singapore. It was with me when cops in Boston stopped me and checked my papers (well that was because I was wearing a New York Yankees cap in Beantown; talk about having balls to do such a thing).

But this is not an ode to my backpack. Ahem. I loved the +10 campaign of adidas during the 2006 World Cup and wish I could collect every one of those commercials. Remember when Jose says, "Beckenbauer" and his friend laughs? simply hilarious. I am most especially predisposed to former New York Cosmos players. They were the original Los Galacticos of football.

Here I go again, straying from the topic. Ah, the +10 campaign. I love how adi tied it in neatly with the "It Takes Five" and "The Brotherhood" campaigns. Yes, it's all about "we" not "me."

And now they've unleashed on of the biggest advertising blitzes with the “Together in 2008, Impossible is Nothing”. This revolutionary new campaign is the largest campaign ever created by a single adidas market.

In the new TV commercials, famous Chinese Olympians, including key members of the Chinese Women’s Volleyball Team, diving sensation Hu Jia, basketball superstar Sui Feifei and football legend Zheng Zhi, achieve their goals with the support of hundreds of ordinary Chinese people.

“We want to go beyond just creating an Olympic campaign, selling an advertising message,” said Elvis Chau, Creative Director of TBWA\China, the advertising agency for adidas, “we want to create a space where people can participate and live the campaign. So we are building a new nation, which is named ‘Sports Nation’, in which all Chinese are invited to be a citizen so they can support the athletes and also embark on their own sports journey.”

Truly amazing. As soon as I get these cool TV ads, we'll have it up here in the Bleachers for everyone to oohh and ahhh.

But adi... they're the official sportswear of the NBA, the World Cup, and now the Olympics. Geez, the Sneakers Wars just heated up.

Did I say that I love the Mali?

No comments:

Post a Comment