BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

How do I feel about KG going to the Celtics?







There are some things I'm so old school about.



I grew up thinking that a player should finish out his career with one team. Think Larry Bird and Kevin McHale for Boston and Julius Erving for Philadelphia (yeah I know he was in the ABA). There was Willis Reed for the Knicks, Magic Johnson and Big Game James for the Lake Show. Dino Radja for Boston too. Yeah, yeah, he only lasted for a few seasons.

But you now, it's a business. And just like your former job that was already beginning to suck, it's only natural. If Allen Iverson, who I figured to be a Sixer for life, can move then so can anyone. And I left too. Hahahaha. Talk about being cryptic.

I was distressed that Michael Jordan chose to foolishly come out of retirement thinking he could reprise his magic during his Second Coming. He ended his career with the Bulls with a flyer for his basketball camp that read: Some things never change. The visual showed him hitting the jumpshot against G-Town and the last one against Utah. Well, karma's a bitch coz it's now getting cut at Laney and getting the boot at Washington.

KG.... damn, the Timberwolves sucked. I guess the one time they were good was when they had Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell. Yeah he should have been a Timberwolf for life but there wasn't light at the end of the tunnel there.

I feel happy he moved Eastward (but boo hoo it's not to the Bulls), but it's nice to see him in Boston. Now let's hope that he doesn't end up like Dominique Wilkins or Xavier MacDaniel when they put on the green and white.

But man, to see KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen -- Mr. Jesus Shuttlesworth himself -- man, Red Auerbach must be tripping billies whatever the hell that means. And if all three make the All-Star team. Man, banner week for Boston, huh. First the Red Sox get Eric Gagne and now KG to the Celts.

Mighty interesting off-season this is shaping out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment