BLEACHERS BREW EST. MAY 2006

Someone asked me how my blog and newspaper column came to be titled "Bleachers Brew". It's like this, it's an amalgam of sorts of two things: The bleachers area in the stadium/arena where I used to sit when I would watch baseball, football, and basketball games and Miles Davis' great jazz album Bitches Brew. That's how it got culled together. I originally planned on calling it "The View from the Big Chair" that is a nod to Tears For Fear's second album, Songs from the Big Chair. So there.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

At a photo shoot yesterday, had a long chat with Purefoods' Ryan Gregorio and Alaska's Larry Fonacier. Those stories well, we're going to reserve them for another time. After Holy Week, I figure.

And hopefully, we'll be seeing a piece here by Larry's wife, Lora, who goes here to Brew a lot. Thanks! That's real cool.

Six more days before the start of the new Major League Baseball season.


I have the River Avenue Blues (with much much homage to Laura Nyro and the 5th Dimension; one of my favorite soul artists like forever). I totally miss baseball a lot. Spring means a couple of things... the end of winter (which everyone looks forward too), summer is around the corner, and baseball's up!

Ben, Joseph, and Mike do a good job for us rabid Yankee fans.

Put away them cold gear, amigo. Time to break out those cargoes, and we be jamming.

Went walking around the campus last Sunday afternoon with an old school chum and we talked about well, doing a lot of walking while living in the US. I loved walking around except when going cross-borroughs. That was real fun.

While working in Flatbush, Brooklyn, I used to tell my mum and dad that the only white people I saw were cops. And I stuck out like a sore thumb. But the place isn't bad.

I frequented a Jamaican restaurant across where I used to work along Nostrand Avenue. There was a nearby barber shop where I befriended one of the proprietors and he once asked me why I was a Yankee fan. Of course, I told him why. Turns out he's a Dodgers fan... a Brooklyn Dodgers fan not the LA variety.

I listened intently to his stories when the Dodgers were the Lords of Flatbush and they played in the legendary Ebbets Field.

I forgot that until I saw this book by Michael D'Antonio.

If you love baseball then this you gotta read.

While going around Brooklyn looking for the old Ebbets Field, well, it's gone now; in it's place are the Jackie Robinson Apartments across McKeever Place.


No comments:

Post a Comment